Amazing Crochet Topiary Tree
This cute Christmas tree stands 15″ tall. The base diameter is nearly 11″. This is a super great gift for the elderly stuck in long term care facilities, someone at the office would like a home made Christmas tree on their desk without taking much space and for anyone who would like an artistic, homemade crochet Christmas tree for display.
- Create the foundation of the Tree. Spiraling from Top to Bottom.
- Create branches of the Christmas Tree from Bottom to Top, spiraling back up.
- Decorate to suit you.
- I used pictures from the Christmas Tree to help illustrate the steps involved.
- Size J or 6.0 MM Crochet Hook
- 1/2 Ball of Red Heart Super Saver or Equivalent
- 2 – 3 Balls of Lion Brand Amazing Yarn, 50 g, 1.75 oz. There are 21 different colours to choose in this product line. The yarn ball is transforming in colour throughout the ball.
- Substitute the yarn for any brands you prefer to make your tree customized to fit your personality.
Create Your Foundation First:
- Using Super Saver or Equivalent Yarn. This yarn can’t be seen from the outside but recommend you get a colour that comes close to the colour of yarn you chose for the leaves. There is grey yarn behind my above Topiary sample.
- Ch 4, SL ST to the BEG Ch to form ring.
- Ch 2, 16 DC around the ring, do not SL ST at the end.
- Immediately DC 2 Times (V Stitch) into the first DC from the previous round. This creates the start of the spiraling effect. DC into the next 7 stitches, Next stitch DC twice (V Stitch) into the same stitch. DC remaining stitches around.
- To continue the spiraling effect and growing your tree into a cone, you will go over the V Stitch in the previous round, on the 2nd DC of the V Stitch, Place another V Stitch to continue the cone widening growth. Do this for every V Stitch you crochet over.
- Continue to crochet in a never ending spiral until you get the height you want. The height is determined by a Styrofoam Cone or whatever height you have in mind. You don’t need to count your revolutions.
- When you have your desired height, fasten off and weave in your ends.
Crochet Diagram Showing Stitches
- Red Lines indicate where I am showing you to immediately crochet without slip stitching. This will make one continuous row from the top of the tree all the way to the bottom of the tree.
Creating Your Branches
- Fasten on Lion Brand Amazing Yarn on the side of the first post. CH 3.
- Immediately DC 4 times on the same post. The way we are grabbing each post to DC onto is referred to as FPDC (Front Post Double Crochet). Ch 1, then FPDC 5 Times immediately on the next post directly beside it.
- *Skip 3 posts and on the 4th Post, 5 FPDC, Ch1 and 5 FPDC on the next post and repeat from * all the way to the top of the tree.
- Finish the final scale at the top of the tree when you have run out of posts to crochet.
- Simply fasten off at the end on the final 5th FPDC stitch. This will allow the scale to stand up on one side to form a perfect top.
Decorate Your Tree
- I used a hot glue gun to fasten the balls into place onto the tree.
- I had yarn that simulated tinsel but found it hid my stitch work too much for me to like it. That’s up to you. You can just take yarn and chain it into a large strand and wrap around your tree.