2014 Crochet Cruises
We brought crochet alive on Carnival Conquest and Carnival Miracle Cruise Ships in February 2014. We decided to try to arrange a crochet cruise with fellow fans from our Facebook / Youtube Community Members. A year of advance planning set our ship activities in motion.
On a personal level, this is one of the highest acheivements of my life. The Crochet Crowd Cruises were a lot of fun and the diversity within our fans was fantastic. I kept comparing the two cruises to each other… only to realize I shouldn’t be comparing them as the personalities and ship’s atmosphere has a lot to do with our guests.
Cruise 1, from Miami was really rowdy with an enormous amount of energy. We found the group to be really connective and really engaging. It was a group of 71 guests and it was amazing.
Cruise 2, from Los Angeles was more of a laid back group. There were 30 guests and they seem to take their time and crocheted at ease. This was the type of group to kick back on Serenity Deck and enjoy an adult beverage.
Both groups were really great to hang out with. They were really appreciative of the time and effort to put together such an activity. In fact, 50% of the attendees resigned up for next year! That’s a true testiment to having a great time.
Being this was our first year trying such a large scale activity, we learned many tips when it comes to working with the cruise ships as well as important planning things for our group as a whole. We are excited to bring back The Crochet Cruises as a yearly event and already in the stages of planning 2015’s. Sorry to say though, 2015 Crochet Cruises are already sold out. Sorry, there are no exceptions as we are booked to capacity.
Crochet Passenger Reviews
- “Excellent trip! Loved all the activities and informational gatherings. Love how accessible Mikey was, always around and always a smile on his face.”
- “I absolutely enjoyed every single things about this cruise. I wish the classes were longer but I understand the time limit on the use of the room. I absolutely loved how Mikey & Diva Dan ran the cruise. I would suggest keeping everything the same.”
- “The cruise went beyond my expectations. I attended the cruise with my daughter with no plans on attending any crochet classes – or even hanging out with any of the crocheters. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised on how quick they brought the joy of crocheting back to my heart. I haven’t crocheted in 10 years – until this cruise. Now I have a new found excitement for it. Thanks to Carnival, The Crochet Crowd and the sponsors who graciously gave us so much!!”
- “Crochet cruise was fantastic! Good blend of crochet and non crochet activities. It was nice to know at pretty much any time a group of hookers could be found to sit down with. A couple more organized classes would be great for next year. This was truly awesome and a great experience. Kudos to Mikey and Diva Dan! Well Done!”
- “I loved the classes and the chance to make friends from all over. Mikey and Diva Dan were amazingly friendly. They went out of thei way to share the love. I would there were more classes and get togethers during the cruise.”
- “This was summer camp for grown-ups.”
- “My very first cruise and I think having the crochet group gave me something to make me fell as if I took a vacation with my best girlfriends, even though I didn’t know anyone in the very beginning. I love how the staff (at Carnival) would call me by name and I still want to know how they remembered my name. First but not the last time cruier!”
- “Best Vacation Ever! Even this beating out a 3 day raft trip through Big Bend National Park. Service is superb, great food and friendly people. Booking Again!”
- “Cruse was wonderful! I’ll be back! Loved meeting Mikey and my new and old cyber hookers!”
- “Classes were very enjoyable and easy to understand. Michael’s directions were clear and concise. He was very willing to help and answer questions with tons of patience. Can’t wait for next year’s cruise.
Room for Improvement
While we strived for excellence, being this was our first crochet cruises, we learned a lot about working with Carnival Cruise Lines as well as things that we should do for the future
- Tables for all crocheters to sit at instead of round groups of chairs. Space is our issue but is something we are going to address for 2015.
- Some passengers decided to change their dinner times to another time. For 2015, we are going to be seated at the early dinner time leaving room for after the dinner for an activity.
- Better lighted classrooms. This is something we need to address with Carnival Cruise Lines.
- Pattern booklets for everyone with assorted patterns to pick and choose the projects they wish to work with.
- Begin the charity project sooner in the week to give more time to work on throughout the cruise.
- Provide step by step instructions using a projector to a screen to see up close what I am doing.