Crochet Easy Scarf
Bernat Multi-ply is exactly as promised, it has multi plies. In fact, there is 6 plies within this yarn. So what is the different between this ball and others? It’s simple… The plies have no twist. You can physically see the 6 plies are together but there is no twist in the yarn itself. With being no twist, the density of this yarn changes to being bulky in look and use.
In Diva Dan’s Scarf, he is using the Extended Moss Stitch throughout.
In this tutorial, you can see the Moss Stitch. It’s not extended though so don’t get confused. I will explain the difference.
Regular Moss Stitch Tutorial
Regular Moss Stitch
The Moss Stitch is used by the designers of Yarnspirations a lot. It’s a very simple stitch that provides a nice multi-use application.
As you will see in the video, it’s simple sc, ch 1, sc and so on. In the next row, the sc are in the ch-1 space and ch 1 is over the sc. You are like filing in the spaces. See video for clarification. Tutorials are above.
Extended Moss Stitch
The stitch has the same multiples but works in going over ch-1 spaces.
So instead of single crocheting into the ch-1 space. You are going to double crochet over the ch-1 space and get the stitch in the row below that one. This is going to fill in the space completely giving you a woven look.
Video Tutorial – Extended Moss Stitch
Diva Dan’s Easy Scarf Pattern
Consists of 1.5 balls of Bernat Multi-ply Yarn. He says you can use the half ball left to create fringe if you wish.
- Use 8 mm or Size L Crochet Hook.
- Scarf is 46″ long by 6.5″ wide.
The multiples for this stitch are 2.
Extended Moss Stitch: When double crocheting, wrap hook and insert into stitch 2 rows below. When wrapping hook, it will bury the ch-1 space from the row below filling in the space. Yarn over and pull through 2 loops. Yarn over and pull through final 2 loops. See tutorial above for visual help if you need it.
- Sc 2nd chain from hook. *skip 1 chain, ch 1, sc into next. Repeat * across. Turn.
- Ch 1, sc into first stitch, extended moss stitch – this row will end up getting the skipped chain between the sc. *Ch 1, skip 1 stitch, extended moss stitch into next. Repeat * across, Sc into the final stitch. Turn.
- Ch 1, sc into the first, *ch 1, skip 1 stitch, extended moss into next. Repeat * across. End of row, ch 1, skip 1 stitch, sc into the final stitch.
- Ch 1, sc into first, extended moss into next. *Ch 1, skip 1 stitch, extended moss into next. Repeat * across. Sc into final stitch.
- Repeats Rows 3 and Row until the scarf is about 6.5″ in height. Fasten off and weave in ends.