Crochet Modern Baby Lovey Pattern
I used smaller blocks than the original to downsize the pattern. I wanted to show the versitility of this design. The simple join-as-you-go method with have you hooked on this style. For this design, I used Bernat Super Value yarn in Magenta, Yellow, Soft Grey, White and Baby Pink. But this would be super to use up your scrap yarns too!
Modern Baby Granny Lovey – 18″ Square
~ Designed by Jeanne Steinhilber
- 5 colors of worsted weight yarn
- Crochet hook size H- 5.0mm
The lovey consists of 4 squares, 1 of each color. These are all using the join-as-you-go method, so plan out your layout before you begin.
First Square – Ch 5; join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
- Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), 2 dc in ring, ch 1, [3 dc in ring, ch 1] 3 times; join with sl st in top of beginning ch—Four 3-dc groups, and 4 ch-1 sps.
- Round 2: Sl st in next 2 dc, [(sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch-1 sp (corner made), ch 3] 4 times; join with sl st in first sc—4 corners, 4 ch-3 sps.
- Round 3: (Sl st, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in first corner ch-3 sp, 3 dc in next ch-3 sp, [(3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next corner ch-3 sp, 3 dc in next ch-3 sp] 3 times; join with sl st in top of beginning ch—4 corners, and four 3-dc groups.
- Round 4: Sl st in next 2 dc, *(sc, ch 3, sc) in next corner ch-1 sp, ch 3, sc in next space between corner and next 3-dc group, ch 3, sc in next space between next 3-dc group and corner, ch 3; repeat from * 3 more times; join with sl st in first sc—4 corners, and 12 ch-3 sps. Finish off.
All Remaining Squares – Repeats rounds 1 thru 3.
- Round 4 – Join-As-You-Go – Sl st in next 2 dc, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next corner ch-1 sp, ch 3, [sc in next space between 3-dc groups, ch 3] to next corner ch-1 sp, [sc, ch 1, sc to the corner of first square, ch 1, sc, in corner ch-1 sp] (first join created), *ch 1, sc to next ch-3 sp of first square, ch 1, sc in next space between next 3-dc group; *repeat to next corner and join corner the same as first corner. Continue around the rest of the square as in round 4 and finish off.
Border – Use all 5 colors twice.
Working around entire grid, repeats rounds 3 & 4 until you have 10 rounds. Do not break yarn.
- Border Round 11 – (Sc, ch 3, sc) in first corner ch-3 sp, *sc in next sc, ch 4, slst to 1st ch (picot), 2 sc in next ch-3 sp, repeat * to corner, (sc, ch 3, sc) in corner. Repeat * around. Finish off.
Inspire, Create and Celebrate
~ Jeanne – The Crochet Crowd