Monthly Challenge – Happy Hearts Afghan
One lucky crocheter who completes the challenge will receive a Fully Loaded Red Heart Yarn Bag with Crochet Crowd Gifts!
Introducing the Happy Hearts Afghan Challenge. This afghan is surpringly simple, especially if you understand the concept of granny squares. The hearts are laid onto the the squares afterwards. This simply means that the squares can be quickly done and the final touches with the hearts can be done afterwards. We are giving 6 weeks to complete this challenge.
In this challenge you will learn:
- How to crochet a granny square.
- How to change colours in granny squares.
- How to crochet a heart applique.
- How to sew on appliques to projects.
- How to professionally sew squares together.
Guideline Ammendment: Important Notice, January 18th, 2014.
- Due to myself not having the afghan completed at the time of filming the tutorial. I didn’t show how to do the border. You will be allowed to finish the afghan anyway you want, once the squares are done and assembled together,you can either do any type of border if you can figure it out or leave it without a border. I’m sorry that I don’t have enough time in my editorial schedule to make enough samples to show you this process.
This is a throw size afghan. It measures only 40″ x 48″. There are 80 squares as the squares are smaller in size. There are only 20 squares that have a heart applique overlay onto them. The afghan is 8 squares wide by 10 long. For this challenge, there are no substitutions for smaller sizes. You must have a minimum 80 squares to qualify. You can make larger size afghans that go beyond 80 squares if you wish.
One lucky person will be selected to receive a Fully Loaded Red Heart Yarn Bag with Crochet Crowd Gifts. The choice is random.
Challenge begins January 7, 2014 – February 28, 2014.
Get the Free Pattern to Use. Download the Happy Hearts Afghan Crochet Pattern.
To complete the afghan as seen in the photograph, you will need to a total of 5 colours with two balls with each colour in regular Red Heart Super Saver 7 oz skein sizes. If substituting your yarn, skein counts may vary. Remember, you may substitute colours and use as many or little colours as you prefer. See pattern for yarn details.
- There is no sign up required to participate. Complete the project and email your photo when you are done. This challenge is open to all Crochet Crowd Community Members. There are no restrictions of country original associated to our challenges. If you are a member of The Crochet Crowd, you may participate.
- You may use any yarn you wish. I used Red Heart With Love with my sample. You may substitute your yarn for any brand or colors that you desire. You may create any color scheme and use as many or as little colours as you prefer.
- You may do as many projects as you wish. Each submitted project is considered a separate entry. If multiple entries are identitcal, a picture showing the projects together to prove their are multiple must be included with your submissions.
- We require your photo to show the entire project so we know the entire project is done. The afghan must be showing all of the squares for us to count in the picture to ensure all 80 squares are in the afghan. Ensure your project is completely finished with yarn tails and etc not showing. It’s like giving it out as a gift, we want to the see the photo showing as if you were gifting us the finished product. This way we know you are completely done.
If you are changing your hook size, we are still looking for the pattern to be the same. Even though your item may be bigger or smaller, we expect the same pattern to be followed. Changing the hook size doesn’t add or take away from the work involved in the stitches.
- The projects must be the same stitching as indicated in the pattern. Do not disqualify yourself by changing the pattern stitching.
- Crocheters Choice: After your pattern instructions are complete, you may add embellishments to the pattern to push your creativity further.
- Challenge begins January 7th and ends February 28th, 2014 at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time. All photos must be submitted during this time frame only. Entries after this due date will be accepted for our gallery but there are no prize giveaways after the deadline.
- Your Choice: Post your finished project on The Crochet Crowd Facebook Page to show everyone your finished work so we can drool over your creativity.
- When you email your finished photo to us, we respect your privacy and will only post your first and last name on the picture in our gallery with the photo so we can identify the winner at the end.
- Featuring on Facebook is dependent on you. We do not upload your emailed photos to Facebook. You have to do that yourself if you want to Show N Tell your creativity.
- One random choice will be made at the end to select one winner. It’s a lottery system and everyone has a fair chance. There are no extra credits for design enhancements.
- We are not responsible for undelivered email and/or late entries to qualify for the gift bag.
- Due to the countless technology platforms and services, we are not responsible for any of our challengers if a mobile devices or technology that isn’t compliant to being able to read our website, view our videos and/or get access to the free patterns.
- Please verify your entry is in our gallery prior to our draw. We need up to 2 days to get your entry into our gallery. We upload it ourselves as part of our review process. If you do not see your entry, we most likely haven’t received your email. Do not wait until after the draw to check if your entry is in.
This is intended for a fun community challenge only. We each are deserving of the highest praise possible for our own creativity. Let’s have fun.
Photo Submissions Must be Emailed To Us
- Please Use Subject Line as: Happy Hearts Afghan
- Please tell us your name and address so we can identify the picture if you win.
- Photo will be checked to verify it meets the challenge requirements.
- Check the FLICKR GALLERY to ensure we have received your email and your photo submission is entered. It is your responsibility to check our gallery before we draw to ensure your afghan has arrived and submitted to our gallery. Be sure to email us at the email above if you don’t see it within 2 days of submitting your photo and/or before the draw. We can check to ensure it’s not in our spam filter and/or have your resend the photo.
- Post your photo to our Facebook Wall if you would like others to see your creativity. We leave that to your discretion as we do not upload your photos.
- Posting your photos to our Facebook Wall doesn’t count as an entry. You must email it to us for us to review it and process it to our gallery.
- We will not switch the photo if you are unhappy with how it looks in the gallery, please ensure it’s the photo you definitely want featured is the only one sent.
- Your emails are kept on file for the duration of the challenge and then deleted afterwards. We do not add your email to our newsletter lists.
- We are not responsible for any emails that are not delivered to us before the due date.