What You Need to Get Started
The biggest mistake of a new crocheter is buying way too much yarn. Though you see some us crocheters have oodles of yarn, some of us, more than our local store, we are trained professionals. 😀
So you want to crochet EH! Listen my friend, you are joining us at the perfect time. Most of us started to crochet where we have had to purchase virtually every pattern we have ever touched prior to the internet. To learn new skills, we would have to learn through magazines and books. Some of us had help from friends to show us the way.
Today, your education and access to patterns is virtually free. There’s where The Crochet Crowd comes into the picture. You cannot ask for more as the only thing that you truly need a crochet hook, some yarn and most importantly, the strong desire to learn.
How to Start with Crochet
Look for a Size H or 5 mm Crochet Hook
- If your country uses metric as a unit of measure like it does here in Canada, UK, Australia and several other countries. You will be looking for a 5 millimeter crochet hook.
- If your country uses imperial units of measure like the USA, you will be looking for a letter such as H on the hook.
- Many hook packages usually have both.
- Look for a cheap resin hook that maybe about two dollars. These hooks are generally grey. You can buy a metal hook if you are feeling adventurous. It’s more economical to buy a crochet hook package of many sizes but if you are not sure you will enjoy crochet, just buy one hook to start.
- In the picture, you will see I am using an ergonomic comfort grip. You don’t need that right away. The hook inside the grip is steel
Look for a 4 Ply 4 Weight Yarn
Use an economical yarn as Bernat Super Value. The yarn is a 4 Ply Worsted at Medium 4 Weight. We have more resources for yarn weights but don’t get hung up on that now.
- Ensure you choose light coloured yarn and do not pick any yarn that is called variegated. Variegated is yarn that changes colour. It’s much harder to learn using yarn that changes colour. Using solid colour yarn will help you figure out your stitches a lot more easier.
- The yarn is easy to work with and easy to learn to crochet with.
- Notice how the yarn doesn’t have any fancy properties to it. Keep it simple.
- Just buy 1 ball to start and see if you enjoy it.
How Are You Going To Learn?
That’s where The Crochet Crowd comes into play. We have over 1200 free video tutorials ranging from the basics to complex projects. But where do you start first?
I am Mikey, owner of The Crochet Crowd and video host. Yes, I am a male crochet instructor. I have quirky and make education fun with not hanging crocheters up with terms or lingo that is meant to confuse. I simplify and speak to you as if you were in a live workshop with me. I’m not formal.
We have both right handed and left handed tutorial. The title of the video tutorials tell you which version you are looking at.
The Crochet Workshop for Beginners is right from the ground up. All of our tutorials can be found on The Crochet Crowd YouTube Channel. All of our videos are sorted by genres and you can use the search engine on our YouTube Channel to narrow down your results.
We also have a 24 Step Program that is Free. This series was made for Curtzy Crochet Hooks out the UK back in 2011. The program has 24 different steps which includes a mix of stitches starting from the very beginning to going to more complex.
You Can Join our Community
We have one of the fastest growing Facebook Crochet Communities in the world. We have the highest level of engagement with show’n tell, inspiration and notifications of new patterns and video tutorials. Our Facebook is on fire for ideas.
Our team interacts and provides content all day long, each and everyday.
We select random people each day to have a feature which creates 1000’s of likes and 100’s of comments instantly. It’s like winning a lottery.
Jump Into the World of Crochet with Mikey
Now if you are hooked on crochet, we invite you to be part of The Crochet Crowd. By becoming a member, you will automatically receive our free bi-monthly crochet called Mikey. Why is it called Mikey? I’m your host, Mikey that is teaching you in videos and running The Crochet Crowd.
We randomly select people from our Facebook to be featured inside the magazine for over 75,000 crocheters to see. Again, it’s like winning a lottery.
Sign Up To Be a Member and start receiving a copy of Mikey.
Participate Often & Interact
Our community is very interactive and chatty. The success of our community is the willingness of the community to help others. If you want answers to something you can always ask. If you know the answer to someone’s question, you are most welcome to answer.
Finally, Come Hook with Us
We host 3 Crochet Cruises a year. Yes… that’s right on a real live cruise ship.
We invite the entire community to join us on board a cruise ship for live interactive workshops and mix in your personal holiday with a crochet experience. We are sponsored by Yarnspirations and Cruise Planners for our event.
You will receive all of your workshop supplies and get to meet about 100 crocheters on board to create life long memories. It’s a lot of fun.
We sometimes have other events during the year in other locations. The Crochet Cruises are the only event we require registration as it’s a lot of planning.
Learn more about the Crochet Cruises.