Preemie “Hunnie Pot” Hats
Quick and easy project that doesn’t take a lot of time. You can change colours like the example to the right or just keep your Hunnie Pot Hat to be one solid colour. Great idea for those who do projects for charity or wards in hospitals that accept donations for the NIC Units.
Using A G Hook or 4.5 mm Crochet Hook
SC – Single Crochet
- Chain 6 and Slip Stitch To Form A Circle.
- CH 2, then HDC 11 times into the first Chain, to create a full circle. Mark the start and end of the circle with a crochet marker or other marking device. This is essential to understand your rotation counts. The first CH 2 = 1 HDC = 12 HDC All The Way Around.
- FROM THIS MOMENT FORWARD UNTIL I TELL YOU. You HDC into the backloops only. This will cause the pattern to have a beautiful line in your pattern.
- You will not slip stitch. but continue to the next stitch like you were going in a spiral. I refer to this as GOING OVER the previous circle. Crochet 2 HDC into each stitch as you go once a round. This will cause the 12 Stitches to double to 24.
- When we get to the brim. We will bring the circles back into alignment. The brim is going to cover the never ending circle look.
- GO OVER, HDC into the 1st and 2nd Stitch, then 2 HDC into 3rd stitch. Repeat this 2 – 1 Ratio all the way round the circle.
- GO OVER, HDC into the 1st, 2nd & 3rd stitches, then 2 HDC into 4th stitch. Repeat this 3 – 1 Ratio all the way round.
- You are finished expanding this projects circumference.
- GO OVER and put 1 HDC into each stitch. You will continue to circle 6 times. Each time you pass the starting point, write down until you have done 6 rows. Be sure to record when you pass the starting point to keep a count of your rotations.
- GO OVER but add the secondary colour and cast off the last colour at the same time. HDC into each stitch – circle once (with eye lash yarn, it is difficult to see the front and back loops. Just crochet normally using both loops. BUT you will change the HDC on the final 3 stitches to slip stitches. The slip stitching brings the spiral effect back into balance. IF YOU WANT THE SAME COLOUR don’t cast off… just continue.
- CHAIN UP 1, to create the a permanent fold for the brim. You will now Single Crochet into the FRONT LOOPS ONLY for this round. You will slip stitch at the end of the round. If you don’t want a permanent fold. DO NOT DO THIS. JUST CONTINUE ALONG… be cautioned though… the fold gives a beautiful even effect.
- Chain Up 1, Single Crochet into both loops all the way round. At the end, slip stitch between each round. Building up 1 chains as you start the next row. You will do this 3 times.
- You are done, Fasten off, Tie, and Weave Straggler into hat.