SOS! The Crochet Crowd is Stranded and Tangled in Madagascar!
Over $3000 in Prizes
The Crochet Crowd is back at Creativ Festival October 24 – 26, 2014 and is stranded in Madagascar on the show floor Booth #517.
Have your creativity featured in front of 30,000 guests while at Creativ Festival and be part of something huge!
SOS! We’re Stranded & Tangled in Madagascar!
Another crochet escapade… they like ’em big… they like ’em chunky!
Michael Sellick and Diva Dan went a bit ‘crackalackin’ in Africa and need to be rescued! While inside a crate on board the freight liner headed to Madagascar, they had lots of time on their hands to plan a course of action. Once they hit land the rescue challenge was issued! Get in on the mission.
The Crochet Crowd Global Community is challenged to create fun creatures and items for a crochet safari. There are over $3000 in prizes to be won, thanks to Red Heart Yarns, Creativ Festival, James C Brett, Schachenmayr Yarns, The Crochet Crowd and Westcott Scissors.
Watch it all unfold at Creativ with a wild and crazy display full of crochet lions, hippos, giraffes and even monkeys created by the Crochet Crowd fans. They ‘Like to Move it, Move it’ with all that Red Heart, James C. Brett and Schachenmayr yarns… it’s a fibre safari adventure!
The ‘Crowd’ loves mother nature’s creatures and you’ll have the chance to purchase finished Madagascar crochet item made with love by Crochet Crowd challengers. Proceeds will benefit the Humane Society of Canada.
The Crochet Crowd – Booth #517 www.TheCrochetCrowd.com
The Challenge & Inspiration
Unleash your creativity to come up with a characters or elements from the Madagascar Movie. Use the island scenes as part of your inspiration.
- Review the movie. Don’t limit yourself to only doing the main characters. There are so many other creatures that didn’t get much of a role in a movie.
- Melman the giraffe.
- How about the slap happy penquins, Skipper, Kowalski, Rico and Private
- The two chimps, Mason and his sign language friend Phil.
- How about a Cracklack’n zebra, Marty.
- Gloria the Hippo
- Marty the Lion.
- Don’t forget about the pesky predators.
- The comic relief lemur, King Julien and his gang.
- There are many other characters that didn’t have a speaking role but are part of the movie. Look carefully.
- Be creative to think outside of the box of what is in the movie that can be your inspiration?
- Look at the background of the movie to see elements such as palm trees and other elements the characters are interacting with.
- Example, Melman was in a box for a bit with his legs and head sticking out.
- Gloria showed up on the beach with moss hair and star fish bra.
- There as a hula girl on the dash of the plane that the Skipper fell in love with.
- What else did you see when reviewing the movie?
- When designing your character, think about the emotional connection to the creature or item you are making.
- Use existing patterns and/or come up with your own designs to make your creatures.
- Don’t be afraid to embellish and let your imagination soar.
Diva Dan has located a slew of 25 – 30 suggested free patterns and inspirational ideas for characters. Look at our newsletter on July 29th, 2014. You are not trapped to use any of these patterns, but these pattern may inspire you.
The Prizes – Over $3000
Our sponsors have come through with an incredible array of prizes.
- We have 5 Top prizes of $500 in gifts courtesy of Creativ Festival, Red Heart Yarns and The Crochet Crowd. Prizes include fully loaded Red Heart Yarn Bag, Swarovski Crystals, Creativ Festival Tickets, Ball Winder, Yarn Swift and Official Crochet Crowd Mug.
- We have 10 prizes of $75 courtesy of James C Brett, Schachenmayr Yarns, and My Mountain Yarn. Prizes include $75 worth of yarn assorted yarn balls and Official Crochet Crowd Mug.
Awarding of Prizes
- Each item will end up being judged. A Creativ Festival Judging Panel will decide the best 5 of the entire submissions on the day we are setting up the show. The winners will be on special exhibit.
- All of the submissions will be put into a random draw and 10 selections will be randomly selected. Everyone has an equal opportunity to win.
More About Creativ Festival
- All creatures and items will be for sale at Creativ Festival. Proceeds will benefit the Humane Society of Canada. We do not return items.
- Anyone in the world is open to participating in this challenge.
- You do not need to be a member or sign up in advance to participate. You simply complete the challenge and mail in your submission.
- Your item must reflect something that is relevant for the Movie ‘Madagascar’ theme.
- The challenger may use any yarn they wish.
- The finished articles must be mailed to The Crochet Crowd Studio by September 26th, 2014. Packages must be post marked on or September 26th to remain in the challenge. We need the characters weeks before the show to do the final exhibit plans. Be mindful that our truck is packed up October 21st and all submissions must be received by October 18th to be included into the show exhibit. If mailing from a far distance, ensure you get your submission in the mail prior to the cut off date.
- You do not need to attend in person at Creativ Festival to be part of this challenge. Winners will be selected and all prizes will be mailed to the winners after the show.
- Your items will not be returned after the show. Remember, your item is going towards a charity cause and is up for sale to benefit the Humane Society of Canada. Your donations and times will be appreciated by many.
Submission & Processing
- The challenger can submit multiple items. Each finished item is counted as a separate entry. Your item must be finished with no assembly required.
- You will mail in your submission(s) to The Crochet Crowd Studio.
- Each submission will be photographed as a group. For example, if a crocheter submits 4 items. The 4 items will be photographed together and labelled. Each item counts as a separate entry for the draw.
- Photography will be released October 20th, 2014 as a complete gallery.
- Challengers can share their entries in advance on our Facebook but be advised this allows others to see your creativity in advance to make decisions about their own entries and creative inspiration.
- Use your best discretion when packaging and shipping these characters to ensure product arrives safely.
PLEASE DO NOT USE FOAM PEANUTS
- It is not necessary to gift wrap, tissue wrap or provide greeting cards with your submission. A quick note with your contact information. Contact information should be your full name, address, phone number and email address. Help keep the environment clean
You MUST Label Each Character
- Each character needs it’s own label. Please provide your name and mailing address on each label of your character.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you label your character.
- Place the label onto the character / item in an area that is not front and centre to the features of the character.
- Ensure the label if legible and easy to read.
- Your items will be on public display, be mindful where you put the label for display reasons.
- You can use a stiff piece of paper to write your name and address. Hole punch the paper and insert a string through the paper to attach it.
- Unlabelled characters will NOT be entered into the draw.
We will be entering your name into the chart below in order in which they are received. We will include the first and last name from the label of the characters. We will include the number of entries by person.
Mailing Address & Shipping
Please use regular parcel postal services. DO NOT USE COURIERS.
Courier Services Charge Us A Minimum of $60 per shipment for customs processing. We will not enter any submissions into our draw that arrive through courier. All courier packages will be rejected and returned to you at your expense.
Confirmed Entries Received