Crochet a Wavy Shell Afghan
The wavy shell afghan was one of the first videos ever filmed for YouTube back in 2008. This design looks ultra hard but in fact is really simple. There is technically only 2 lines of stitches used within this afghan.
- 6.5 mm or K Size Hook.
- Bernat Super Value Yarn.
- Starting chain is in multiples of 14+2. When chain 14, start over again and chain to 14. Keep doing that until you get the width you want. At the end, you will add 2 stitches.
- 3 dc in 3rd chain from hook. * Skip over 3 chains, sc in next 7 chains. Skip next 3 stitches, 7 dc in next stitch. Repeat * across the chain. At the end of the chain, you will place 4 dc in last chain. Turn.
- Ch 1, 1 sc in each stitch across. Turn.
- Ch 1, sc in first 4 sts. Skip 3 sts, 7 dc in next st. Skip 3 sts, sc in next 7 sts. Repeat * across. End of row will have 4 sc in final 4 sts. Turn.
- Repeat Row 3. Turn.
- Ch 3, 3 dc into same stitch of the ch-3. * Skip over 3 chains, sc in next 7 chains. Skip next 3 stitches, 7 dc in next stitch. Repeat * across the chain. Final stitch will be 4 dc into same st. Turn.
- For the remaining of the afghan. Repeat rows 3 – 6 until you get the size you prefer. When satisfied, fasten off and weave in ends.
The trick is using 3 or more different colours to make it more appealing. You could also do one solid colour if you preferred. You are the crochet artist after all.
In the videos below, I will show you how to get started and go through the lines. What does change are the edges as the pattern needs to cycle through a repeat pattern. I cover that within the videos below.
Video Demonstration – 3 Videos