Want to learn to knit or need practice? This is a beginner-level Ear Warmer Pattern to try. This uses a 4-ply medium-weight yarn like Patons Canadiana. I used Red Heart Heat Wave, but you can use Red Heart Super Saver and yarns like that as well.
Your goal isn’t perfection, but try to be more consistent and get used to the hand movement of knitting.
You will learn a few skills with the tutorial provided, but you can also follow the instructions in the free download.
- Casting On
- Knit Stitch
- Knit Stitch 2 Stitches Together – k2tog
- Knit Stitch Front and Back Increase – kfb
- Wrong Side Verses Right Side
- Casting Off / Bind Off
- Sewing Ends Together Using Whip Stitch
This is sized for adults, I don’t have details to change this pattern to kid sizes but patterns online may exist. This is contoured to go over the ears so it’s not just a straight headband concept.
You will learn shaping with this entry-level beginner knit project.
- Project Size: Average Adult with Some Stretch – 17.5″ diameter unstretched.
- Gauge: 19 sts and 32 rows.
- Designer: Yarnspirations Design Team
- Stitch Multiple is not applicable.
- Needle Size on Pattern: 4.5 mm / US 7
- Yarn In Pattern: Patons Canadiana but I used Red Heart Heat Wave for the tutorial.
- Pattern Date or Last Revision Known: 2015
Please use the pattern for details on yarn quantities, gauge and other details not listed here. This pattern may have been updated since the creation of this tutorial, and the information or presentation of the printable PDF may have been changed without notice.
If you are looking for another project near the entry-level of knitting, can I entice you to make a hat? This is the Knit Your First Hat pattern for toddlers, kids and adults.