I Love Yarn Fridge Magnet
Learn how to make this cute “I Love Yarn” Fridge Magnet. It is 3.5″ across the crochet hook using a 1.75″ plastic button.
The ball is faked with using a felt ball as a base and yarn is wrapped around the felted ball instead of wasting any yarn to make the ball the equivalent size. You can decide to use a felted ball or just wind up a mini ball for yourself.
This ball reminds me of Sushi on a plate. In celebration of I Love Yarn Day… enjoy this fun little project.
- 1.75″ Plastic Button or Something You Can Find.
- 4.0 mm or Size G Bamboo Crochet Hook that you don’t mind cutting shorter.
- Extra fingering weight yarn. Sock yarn tends to be really neat in colours. I used Kroy Sock Yarn for my example.
- Mini Magnet for the back.
- Hot Glue Gun
- Felted Ball. Ensure it fits inside the button so it appears to be sitting on the button and in scale to the button.
- Sand paper.
- Cutter to cut the bamboo hook.
- Eye up the crochet hook and lay over the button. Determine the size by eyeing it up and cut so there is about 1″ overlap on both sides. Cut bamboo hook and sand the cut edge to smooth it off.
- Insert the hook through the center of the felted ball.
- Wrap the yarn around the felted ball until you cannot see any felt peaking through. Tack with a glue gun the final strand so it doesn’t unravel.
- Place a glob of glue in the center of the button, top side. Put the yarn ball onto the glob of glue at the same area where you tacked the original strand. Press into the button and let dry.
- Glue a magnet to the back of the button. Be conscious on which side of the magnet needs to be glued so that it will stick properly to the metal surface.
Let everything dry and it’s ready to use. Have fun. These are quite nifty and show off your love for your yarn crafts as a crocheter.