Super Soft Baby Blanket
This Super Soft Baby Blanket is a forever expanding hexagonal blanket that allows you to stop where you feel most satisfied.
I’ve done hexagonal afghans in the past where the pattern doesn’t grow properly and the afghan doesn’t sit flat. I figured out the proper stitch counts so the afghan can continue to grow to your desired size without buckling.
I used a 8 mm or Size L Crochet Hook to ensure the tension and stretch stays consistent.
The trick to starting a hexagon is to get by the first 3 revolutions so that the pattern than becomes a no-brainer. We have to grow out the interior properly to ensure it will stay sitting flat.
I would recommend only 2 skeins of 300 g / 10.5 oz balls for a baby version. If you want to make it bigger, just add more balls.
- Ch 6, join with a slip stitch to the beginning ch to form a ring.
- Ch 3, 2 dc into the ring, ch 1. *3 dc into ring, ch 1. Repeat * 4 more times. Join with a slip stitch to top of ch-3. You should have a total of 6 groups of 3 dc with ch 1 spaces between them.
- Slip stitch to the next ch 1 space. Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc into the same space, first corner is made. Ch 1 *3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc into the next ch 1 space, next corner is made. Ch 1. Repeat * around. Slip stitch to the top of the beginning ch-3.
- Slip stitch to the next ch 1 space. Ch 3, dc, ch 1, 3 dc into the same space, first corner is made. Ch 1, 2 dc into next ch 1 space (this is between the groups of 3 dc in the row below), ch 1. **3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc into the next ch 1 space, next corner is made. Ch 1. 2 dc into next ch-1 gap space, ch 1. Repeat * around. Slip stitch to the top of the beginning ch-3.
- Begin instructions like #4. The only difference is that within each round going forward, there will be more ch-1 gap spaces that are in between the corner. Each Ch-1 space will get 2 dc followed by a ch 1. You will continue in this manner going all the way around.
Note: I tried different corner configurations and I had buckling. So each corner will always have 3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc. Each ch-1 gap space in between will only have 2 dc followed by a ch 1.
It is a very simple, yet quick and easy project.