Crochet Sweet Treat Chicks
These super crocheted sweet chicks slide over a plastic egg for cute Easter decor ideas. Created by our Cathy to share with you.
What You Need
- Size G Crochet Hook or 4.5 MM
- Cathy used Lily Sugar N Cream or Bernat Handicrafter 4 ply cotton yarn but you can substitute any 4ply yarn you have on hand.
Ch – Chain, SC – Single Crochet, Dc -Double crochet, Tr-Triple crochet, st- stitch, SL ST – Slip Stitch, BEG – Beginning, TOG – Together, 2sctog – 2 SC Stitches Together to Decrease, RSC – Reverse Single Crochet
Note: Ch 1 doesn’t count as st going forward.
- Ch 4 and SL ST to the BEG Ch to form a ring (you can use a magic circle here instead for this step if you prefer.)
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, then SC 7 times around ring, SL ST at the end to the top of the BEG Ch 1. (7st)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, then 2 SC into the same joining stitch and in each st around, SL ST at the end to the top of the BEG Ch 1 (14st)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, 1 SC into the same joining stitch, 2 SC in next st, repeat around, SL ST at the end to the top of the BEG Ch 1 (21st)
- Rnd 4: *Ch 1, 1 SC into the same joining stitch and in each st around, SL ST at the end to the top of the BEG CH 1**, repeat from * to ** for rounds 5-9 (21st)
- Rnd 10: Ch 1, *1 SC into the next 2 st then 2sctog over the next 2 st**, repeat from * to ** around, (note you will only have 1 SC to make after last dec in the round) SL ST at the end to the top of the BEG Ch 1 (16 st)
- Rnd 11: *Ch 1, 1 SC into the same joining stitch and in each st around, SL ST at the end to the top of the BEG Ch 1**, repeat from * to ** for rounds 12 and 13 (16st)
- Rnd 14: RSC around, tie off, weave in end.
Wings: (Make 2)
Make a slip knot…Leave tail long enough to use for attaching wing to chick later.
- 1: Ch 3
- 2: 4 DC into 3rd Ch from Hook (Ch 3 and 4 DC equal 5 DC)
- 3: 3 Tr into same 3rd chain from the hook that the previous Dc are made in
- 4: SL ST at end of last Tr, Tie off leaving a long tail for attaching later…
- 5: Weave finishing tail back through the last Tr to meet the other starting tail…Tie a secure knot but make it loose enough to maintain shape of wing..slightly pull end of wing to shape if needed.
Using your crochet hook or darning needle pull both yarn ends thru side of chick, turn chick inside out, pull one yarn end over a stitch or 2 without going thru to the other side, then tie a secure knot using both yarn ends…Do same for other wing.