Crochet a Cool Summer Top
When I sit down to crochet, my favorite things to make are baby blankets and afghans. But more recently, I have played around with clothing, especially summer tops.
I made a few before my Crochet Cruise earlier this year, including the Peacock Summer Shell from the list below. It’s a great first piece which helps to teach you how to make it fit properly. I made this one with 3 skeins Bernat Satin yarn. It’s easy to wear over a tank top with a pair of capris.
I just made another piece that I’m absolutely in love with and cannot wait to wear it to an upcoming event. It’s the Sweet Clara Top by Kristin Omdahl. I thought it was going to be challenging, but it’s actually not bad once you get to the underarms. It is worked in the round in one piece from the top down and with a great yarn is a fabulous piece that I plan to wear with leggings and a cami. I did make mine a bit longer to hide the hips. 😉 I choose Be So Sporty Yarn in Passionate Plum. I really love the rich, deep color of it.
Here are a few patterns to inspire your summer crocheting.
- Sweet Clara Top – I made mine longer, more like a tunic to wear with leggings. You can also follow along at video tutorial at Kristin’s YT channel here.
- Ladies Crochet Top – lacy design, perfect for summer.
- Floral Cami Top – Mikey has a tutorial to help you crochet this little pretty.
- Clarice – nice baby doll style top in sizes to 3X.
- Cap-Sleeve Top – free pattern for a fitted summer top.
- Pineapple Racerback Tank – love the pretty pineapples featured on this design.
- Simple Tank Top – great beginner pattern made with the new Bernat yarn.
- Dusky – interesting stitch design below a solid yoke.
- Marie Beach Top – super pretty and very feminine. Great pineapple design.
- Crane Hill – This is for the bi-stituals as it has a knit yoke and a soft ripple crochet body.
- Pineapple Crochet Top – simply beautiful, I cannot resist the pineapples.
- Flowers in the Sky – flower motifs joined together to make this cute tank top.
- Shells on the Side – worked sideways to form a simple tube with the yoke added at the end.
- Peacock Summer Shell – I’ve made this one too. Super simple.
- Textures Crochet Top – lightweight and could easily be made longer.