Our Monthly Challenges – Overview
Be part of our Crochet Challenges that run nearly every month here on The Crochet Crowd. We receive a lot of email regarding how it works and how to participate. This article will detail a general overview.
Our monthly challenge are sponsored by Red Heart Yarns for fabulous prizes.
- Participation and entries are open to the entire community of The Crochet Crowd. This includes all regions on planet earth.
- Though we are sponsored by Red Heart Yarns, you may use any yarn you have access to.
- The project is generally announced between 1 – 2 weeks before the launch to ensure people can gather materials or check their supplies.
- The project is shown on the challenge with specific information.
- You are not required to register or sign up for the challenge. You just need to complete it and send us a photo when you are done.
Avoid Disappointment – Read Challenge Guidelines
Here are some guidelines to avoid being really upset with yourself and avoid disappointment.
- Each challenge has its own instructions and guidelines. Read through them to ensure you know the rules.
- Our deadlines are firm. We do not make exceptions for late entries as it’s not fair to others who push themselves to finish.
- Pay extra attention to details pertaining to the pattern. Some crocheters believe that cutting corners and reducing the size of a project will qualify. In some cases, we give options for making smaller sizes. This sizing difference is stated on each challenge and is not a general rule across the board.
- We have discovered that some people like to do camera tricks where the item isn’t actually finished but photographed in a way to make it appear done. Such things like folding a project or hanging it over an item where a portion cannot be seen. This will automatically disqualify your entry. If you have done this in error, you are welcome to take another photo of the entire project and re-submit.
- In projects such as afghans, we count squares or rows in a project. The photo must be clear enough for us to examine.
- Most of the challenges, we have rules where the base pattern must be the same stitches. It’s only after the pattern is actually completed where you may embellish or add your own personal touches. For example, in some cases, crocheters don’t like the look of a stitch and substitute it and/or use an existing project they already crocheted before but isn’t the same project. This will disqualify the entry. To keep our challenges fair, the base patterns must be followed.
- There is no photo changing after submission. If you realize afterwards that you don’t like your photo and want it changed for a different one, we will not change it. Ensure the photo you want in the gallery is the photo you send to us. It’s better to take the photos in natural daylight than at 3 am where the lighting makes it hard to appreciate the artwork.
- Our challenges have a submission form instead the challenge. When you are completed your project, go back to the challenge and use the form to submit the photo. The form comes to us as an email through our system.
- Submissions through other methods that include messages through Facebook, private emails to Mikey or Cathy, texting and or other ways will not be accepted.
- On occasion, some contestants complain their item isn’t in the gallery. 99% of the time it’s a result of the form email being lost in cyber space. It’s something we cannot control but is known to happen.
- We do not upload your photo to Facebook to showcase to fans. If you want to show & tell your work, please upload it to our Facebook on your own.
- Uploads to our Facebook wall do not count as a submission, you must use the form to send in your entry. .
- Winners will be announced on Facebook and in our Newsletters.
- The winners are 100% random. It’s anyone’s challenges to win.
- The winners will receive their prize packages between 1 – 6 weeks of the announcement.
- In the rare event where we run a challenge based on the best project, that will be announced specifically in the challenge.
After the Challenge
- After the winners are announced. All challenge emails we received are deleted.
- We will accept photos after the draw. Some of our challengers don’t get it done on time. We will still put the photos for our gallery but they will not qualify for the draw.
- We do not use your challenge emails for marketing campaigns to add to our email list. We do not rent, sell or exchange our email lists with anyone.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your photo is in the gallery before our draw. Our draw is usually 4 days after the cut off date. If you have discovered after the draw that your photo isn’t in the gallery, there is nothing we can do. We do a final call beginning 2 days before the cut off to ensure people check to see if their entry has been received. If your email has been misdirected or had an error while sending to us, we won’t know to look for your email. It’s not personal, it’s just the nature of electronic transfer.
Please refer to the individual challenges for specific information on the project and prizes.