Pattern, Sizing and Free Tutorial Included.
For Different Sizes of Afghans
- For those who would like to use this pattern for bedspreads. These sizes include the hangover that drapes over the side of the mattress. You will follow the directions and keep repeating the pattern until you get to the end of your chain.
- Changing the number of colours used will reflect on how many balls you will use during this project.
The Sizing below is based on the Gauge Size of the Written Pattern itself. This was not based on my own stitches & tension. It is known in crochet that the sizing will be affected if you change the yarn or hook size.
|Mattress Size||Size of Afghan||Dimensions||Starting Chain Count||Length||Balls R’qd|
|This Pattern||Throw||55″ x 44″||152||44″||8|
|Baby||Baby||36″ x 36″||110|
|Baby||Baby||40″ x 40″||122|
|39″ x 75″||Twin||66″ x 90″||200|
|54″ x 75″||Full / Double||80″ x 90″||242|
|60″ x 80″||Queen||90″ x 90″||272||90″||?|
|78″ x 84″||King||108″ x 90″||326||90″||?|
|39″ x 75″||Day Bed||66″ x 90″||200||90″||?|
|48″ x 84″||Single Waterbed||66″ x 90″||200||90″||?|
|60″ x 84″||Queen Waterbed||90″ x 90″||272||90″||?|
|72″ x 84″||King Waterbed||108″ x 90″||326||90″||?|
For figuring out your own afghan size:
- 6 Chains = 1 shell seen in the photograph.
- 1 Shell = 2″ wide.
- Chain in sets of 6 as explained in the video tutorial to get the width you want. Then add 2 chains at the end.
- For the pattern, the repeat pattern of using the 4 colours takes 12 rows total. The repeat pattern is approximately 7″ high.
Math to figure out custom sizing:
- If you want a certain size say 60″ wide afghan.
- If each shell is 2″ wide, the total width is divided by 2 as every 2″ is only 1 shell. We need to figure out the number of shells required to figure out the chain length number.
- The math is 60″ divided by 2″ per shell = 30 shells. Take 30 shells x 6 (6 stitches per shell) = 180 Chains. Then add 2 chains at the very end.
- Total of 182 Chains.
- Crochet to the desired length.