Using Red Heart Reflective Yarn, you can make knit stitch head bands with a Tunisian hook.
Knit Stitch Head Bands
Using a Tunisian Hook or sometimes called an Afghan Hook, you can create a knit stitch appearance.
I’m a crocheter at heart but sometimes think that knitting can be warmer and/or more desirable to look at. I don’t want to give up my hook so instead, I’m going to use my Tunisian Hook to make my project look like knitting.
I will provide a video tutorial below to show you how to do this particular pattern.
- 7 mm Tunisian Crochet Hook. Substitute 6.5 mm or Size K if required.
- 2 Skeins of Red Heart Reflective Yarn. Most of the main colour will be used and the 2nd colour is the trim which won’t take up a lot of yarn. My tip for you is that with the 2 skeins, you can make two head bands if you reverse the colours. For example, in the picture above I can make a main blue one with orange trim and the 2nd head band can be orange with blue trim.
- Chain 8 (adults) for kids you may want to chain 5 or 6.
- Insert hook into the back of the 2nd chain from the hook. Yarn over and pull through and leave on your hook. Insert your hook into the next back of the next chain, pull through and leave on your hook and repeat all the way across.
- Yarn over and pull through the 1st loop. *Yarn over and pull through 2 loops. Repeat * all the way across.
- Insert hook in between the 1st stitches front and back strings. You will go through diagonally. Yarn over and pull through and leave on your hook. * Insert your hook between the next stitches front and back strings diagonally, yarn over and pull through to leave on hook. Repeat * all the way across.
- Repeat Step 3 – 4 until you get to the desired length of the headband to wrap around your head. Ensure it’s not too long as if it is too loose in the beginning, it will stretch once you start wearing it.
- When done, sew the two edges together to form a solid band.
- With a 6.5 mm or size K crochet hook, single crochet evenly around the head back on both sides.
- Weave in ends and wear.