Catherine Wheel Stitch
The Catherine Wheel Stitch is one of my ultimate favourite crochet stitches. I love how the stitches are tighter together and the circles it leaves behind leaves me with a sense of pride at the end of the project.
This article will have the written and video format for this stitch. The written instructions consist of 5 lines before the repeat pattern kicks in. It’s due to the circles locations. I explain this thoroughly in the video tutorial.
You will need at least 2 colours of yarn to work with. Even more if you prefer to have even more colours. This particular afghan looks really effective using 3 or more colours.
See video instructions for learning how to do the TOG DEC stitches.
To Make Different Sizes
Multiple of 8 sts + 2.
Remember the + number at the end of the sentence means that you are to add chains at the very end to maintain the pattern as written.
Chain Length – Sets of 8 + 2 (see paragraph above)
- Sc 2nd ch from hook and next chain. *skip 2 chains, put 7 dc into next chain. Skip 2 chains, 1 sc into each of the next three stitches. Repeat * across. Final two stitches left over should be 1 sc into each. Fasten off yarn. Turn.
- Fasten on new colour. Ch 3, 3 dc tog dec, ch 3. 1 sc into next 3 stitches. *Ch 2, 7 dc tog dec, ch 3, 1 sc into next three stitches. Repeat * Across. Final semi circle is ch 2, 4 dc tog dec, ch 1. Turn.
- Ch 3, 3 dc into same stitch where the ch 3 started. 1 sc into next 3 sc stitches on the row below. *7 dc into middle of the next Catherine Wheel Stitch, 1 sc into next 3 sc stitches from the row below. Repeat * across. Final 1/4 circle is 4 dc into the middle of the Catherine Wheel. Fasten off.
- Fasten on new colour. Ch 1 sc into same stitch, sc into next stitch. *ch 2, 7 dc tog dec, ch 3, 1 sc into each of the next 3 stitches. Repeat * across. Final two stitches are 1 sc into each. Turn.
- Ch 1, 1 sc into the same stitch and the next stitch. *7 dc into middle of the next Catherine Wheel Stitch, 1 sc into next 3 sc stitches from the row below. Repeat * across. Final 2 stitches are 1 sc into each.
- Repeat rows 2 – 5 over and over until you get to the desired length of project you want.
Video Tutorial (Right & Left)