Crochet Teen / Adult Bun Hat
Crochet a Bun Hat that intentionally leaves space at the top of the hat to put up hair. You bring your hair through space. This particular pattern is an alteration on an existing pattern on Yarnspirations called the Snug with Clusters Crochet Hat.
The pattern has been written in three sizes. I have altered each size to start correctly for a bun feature at the top of that.
Using the same hook size, 6.5 mm or K. Using either Patons Classic Wool Roving or Bernat Roving Yarn. You will need only 1 ball of each colour. If you want a solid colour hat, you only need 1 ball.
More Bun Hat Ideas
- Complete Gallery of Bun Hats
- Crochet 2-4 Years Old Bun Hat + Tutorial
- Crochet 6 – 8 Years Old Bun Hat + Tutorial
- Crochet Twisted Stitch Bun Hat + Tutorial
- Beg Cluster: Ch 2, 1 dc into same stitch.
- Cluster: (Yoh and draw up a loop. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice in indicated space. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook.
Start by using a hair elastic band.
Beg at crown, with MC, ch 16. Join with sl st to first ch to form a ring.
- Join yarn with a sl st around hair band and Beg cluster. *Ch 1 (Cluster. Ch 1. Cluster) in next ch. Ch 1. Cluster in next ch. Rep from * around. Join with sl st to top of beg cluster. 24 clusters
- Sl st in next ch-1 sp. Beg cluster in same sp as last sl st. *Ch 1. Cluster in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * around. Ch 1. Join with sl st to top of beg cluster. Rep last rnd until Hat from beg measures 5″. Fasten off, weave in ends.
- Join A with sl st to any ch-1 sp. Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. *1 sc in top of next cluster. 1 sc in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * around. Join with sl st to first sc. 32 (40-48) sc.
- Ch 1. Sc2tog. 1 sc in each of next 14 (18-22) sc. Sc2tog. 1 sc in each sc to end of rnd. Join with sl st to first st. 30 (38-46) sc.
- Ch 1. 1 sc in each sc around. Join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Comments on “Crochet Teen / Adult Bun Hat Pattern + Tutorial”
Where can I find right hand tutorial for the adult bun hat?
Right above the left hand version on this page.
Love this hat, so easy and cute!
I used Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds in rich teal tweed.
It looks great, I’m going to make more!
Love this hat, its so easy and cute! Going to make several.
How can you get a hat that fits from a 2 year-old to an adult by never increasing more for the adult size hat than for the 2 year-old hat? It seems like it would just be taller, but not wider–right?
Can you tell me the kind of yan you used
it was a soft, not itchy – like Caron, but got it at Hobby Lobby – don’t have the paper – but two strands worked well and made a pretty hat – tried to send picture, but haven’t figured out how to do that
Beautiful video and hat! Thank you Mikey!
it’s a thicker yarn, I used two strands of lighter weight and it went pretty well, the smaller yarn will require more stitches and increases, but it will work with those modifications, just try on as you go
Was the yarn that you can use worsted weight yarn
Mikey used a #5 bulky yarn. If you use worsted, you will have to make a few adjustments.
I really have enjoyed getting your emails and have learned so much from you. Thank you for doing all of this. Hopefully I can get to a point where I can make a sweater.