Crochet Flora Afghan
The finished blanket in the 4 x 5 squares format is 62″ x 76″.
Available Free Downloads
- Full Book with Pictures Up Until the Current Month. This has abbreviations key and specifics about the afghan. This is a large file.
- Square 1 – Chrysanthemum Pattern Instructions Only. (revision 4 is current)
- Square 2 – Flower Clock Pattern Instructions Only. (revision 1 is current)
- Square 3 – Hydrangea Pattern Instructions Only. (revision 2 is current)
- Square 4 – Posy Pattern Instructions Only. (revision 1 is current)
April 2019 – Chrysanthemum Square Tutorial
Chrysanthemum Tutorials – Right & Left Hand
The tutorial sample you will see is using 4 colours. They are Caron One Pound using Rose, Sky Blue, Lavender Blue and Grass Green.
May 2019 – Flower Clock Square Tutorial
June 2019 – Hydrangea Square Tutorial
July 2019 – Posy Square Tutorial
Next Square Releasing August 15th
In watching crochet alongs of our past, there’s a common thread of conversation in crocheters wanting more of a challenge. This concept started with a crocheter emailing me to have one of these shapes converted to a square. You can see it here on the right-hand side, middle square. There’s a duplicate of the square on the upper left, 2nd one in.
One thing led to another and Daniel challenged me to retry it a second time but giving it more texture. Once I had completed it, Daniel suggested I do another one that matches the size. This is what led to the full creation of this concept. Over 2 days while being inspired by Don Monty’s Garden Shows on Netflix.
To complete the full afghan that is 4 x 5 squares. This afghan is a sampler where I have mixed up the squares so they are sitting randomly. Many people prefer more symmetry.
This afghan has 7 unique squares used. Due to each of the squares matching each other, size wise, you can switch out the squares. I find with crocheters, I may not always hit the mark. This simply means that if you don’t like one or more of the squares I designed, you can leave it out and fill it in with another square that you prefer more.
Free Flora Afghan eBook
Included in my free eBook are the conversion sheets for all seven squares right off the hop. Meaning, you are getting all of the stats to be able to self create on the day we launch.
You will also get the final border instructions on Day 1. I figured if people really like to just concentrate on a few squares and finish earlier than our Stitch Along, they can do so with this information. The border will fit all the sizes people come up with.
On Day 1, the book will be about 17 pages. This includes background information, technical information and more. On the 15th of May, June, July, August, September and October, you will get between 2 – 3 additional pages to add to your eBook. These are the rest of the squares coming to you.
My finished blanket needs 6 of the 7 squares to have 3 squares. 1 of the designs only needs 2 squares to make a 4 x 5 afghan.
The eBook will be accompanies by tutorials for each of the 7 squares to show you the way. While this is an intermediate level, it’s helpful to know how to read patterns but the tutorials will show you the way too.
After completing all of the designs. I was scheduled for a personal vacation. So I decided to take the Lilies in August Square with me. I did up one square sample to test my pattern and weigh the yarn so I knew how much to take with me.
With a goal to make an additional 19. I started to crochet at the airport. Between connecting flights and more, I was able to get comfortably started.
While on my 10 day vacation, during the quiet times. I took my project with me. Whether I was sitting on a beach, deck chair or even lounge. Other passengers on holidays were taking mental notes and began to realize I was making something big.
I found passengers asking me about my project and as the days progressed, they were seeing how fast I was doing my project. I don’t claim to be a fast crocheter. I do claim to be determined.
By 2nd last day, I laid my afghan on the carpet to get a bird’s eye view of it. I whip stitched the afghan together and took it home.
If you really like the Lilies in August blanket on its own. I know the ball colours and counts for Caron One Pound. They are as follows:
- A – Dark Pink – 2 Balls
- B – Soft Pink – 1 Ball
- C – Ocean Blue – 1 Ball
- D – Country Rose – 2 Balls
- E – Midnight Blue – 2 Balls
- F – Grass Green – 2 Balls
This square will be released in August if you couldn’t tell by the name. The pattern is written based on 3 colours. If you see the picture below, you can see how I put the colours together.
Colours Used in Blue / White Sample
- 2 Balls Caron One Pound White
- 2 Balls Caron One Pound Ocean
- 2 Balls Caron One Pound Soft Gray Mix
The pattern is written where I have changed the colour in areas that made sense. You will see the conversion sheets to tell you how much yarn I used for each colour change in every square. This means you see my colourful example, that is using 5 colours, you can do the same thing or even use more colours. I gave you the yardages to be able to strategically plan your project.
By October 15, 2019, you will get the last pattern and tutorial. This means, if you really are thinking of giving a project away for Christmas that is above average, this project is doable if you have the time. Each square takes approximately less than 3 hours to make. So you could start many afghans and store the squares as you wait for the next squares to come out.
For those who finish the afghan of a 4 x 5 squares. Using 1 or all 7 of the square designs and border, you will be able to qualify for a giveaway. We will have 5 Pre-Christmas Yarn and Blue Ribbon Giveaways to 5 randomly selected winners.
You can use any yarn you wish as long as you follow my pattern. Each afghan you finish qualifies for 1 entry. If you complete more than 1, you can have more entries.
Win 1 of 5 Loaded Santa Bags of Yarn
Submit us a finished photograph of your afghan of a 4 x 5 squares. Using 1 or more of the 7 squares here. You may not switch out the squares for a design that is not in this pattern. We will have 5 Pre-Christmas Yarn and Blue Ribbon Giveaways to 5 randomly selected winners.
You can use any yarn you wish as long as you follow my pattern. Each afghan you finish qualifies for 1 entry. If you complete more than 1, you can have more entries. We are not sponsored for this Stitch Along, all prizes will be supplied by The Crochet Crowd and mailing will be our expense.
- There is no sign up required to participate. Complete the project and email your photo when you are done. This challenge is open to all Crochet Crowd Community Members.
- You may use any yarn you wish. You may create any colour scheme. Use as many or as little colours as you prefer.
- You may do as many projects as you wish. If multiple entries are identical, a picture showing the projects together to prove there are multiple must be included with your submissions.
- We require your photo to show the entire project so we know the entire project is done. Ensure your project is completely finished with yarn tails and etc not showing. It’s like giving it out as a gift, we want to see the photo showing as if you were gifting us the finished product. This way we know you are completely done.
If you are changing your hook size or yarn, we are still looking for the pattern to be the same.
- All photos must be submitted during the challenge time frame only. Entries after this due date will be accepted for our gallery but there are no prize giveaways after the deadline.
- Your Choice: Post your finished project on The Crochet Crowd Facebook Page to show everyone your finished work so we can drool over your creativity.
- When you email your finished photo to us, we respect your privacy and will only post your first and last name on the picture in our gallery with the photo so we can identify the winner at the end.
- Featuring on Facebook is dependent on you. We do not upload your emailed photos to Facebook. You have to do that yourself if you want to Show N Tell your creativity.
- We are not responsible for undelivered email and/or late entries to qualify for the prize.
- Due to the countless technology platforms and services, we are not responsible for any of our challengers if mobile devices or technology that isn’t compliant to being able to read our website, view our videos and/or get access to the free patterns.
- All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- Please verify your entry is in our gallery prior to our draw. We need up to 4 days to get your entry into our gallery. We upload it ourselves as part of our review process. If you do not see your entry, we most likely haven’t received your email. Do not wait until after the draw to check if your entry is in.
This is intended for a fun community challenge only. We each are deserving of the highest praise possible for our own creativity. Let’s have fun.
How to Submit
Please read the guidelines below to understand what we are looking for.
Send your photo to us through email to [email protected]
- Use Subject Line: Flora Afghan
- In the email leave us the following information.
- Your Full Name
- Your Mailing Address
- We will not be adding your name or email to our database.
We are accepting entries from Oct 15, 2019 to Nov 15, 2019 at 11:00 pm ADT. Winners will be drawn Nov 20th, 2019.
You can email any time.
- We will email you if something is questioned in your photo.
- You will not hear from us if your email didn’t get to us. So if you don’t see your entry after 4 days of submission, it means we haven’t received it.
More Stitch Alongs