Crochet Baker's Mix Lapghan
Using 2 Caron Cakes to make this 34" diameter crochet lapghan. The colour shown is Caron Cakes, Cake Pop. Both balls are used at the same time. The trick is to ensure both balls are not starting on the same colour. This is what gives it a unique look. If you follow the center out with your eyes, you will see the colour changes in the yarn balls to be the same but at different points. As the lapghan grows bigger, the shades of colour getting shorter. This is the Baker's Mix Lapghan.
Another Tapestry Idea
There is no cut yarn in this. You can see in some spots where abrupt colour changes have happened. If you prefer not to have that. If you see the change of the colour is happening, cut the yarn and start with the next section using the fresh colour. Therefore, you won't have any colours end partial ways across any pinwheel area. That's creativity that I will leave in your hands.
The adaptation is based on keeping the pinwheel a solid straight shot out from the center instead of breaking up the pinwheel like my original design. It was trending to use one of the two colours using automatic long variegated yarn like Bernat Pop! and Caron Cakes.
You can easily substitute Bernat Pop! to Caron Cakes if you wish. I think both choices would be awesome. You can go bigger but you will need more yarn to make it bigger. The lapghan will stay flat as long as each section of the pinwheel increases by 1 in the beginning.
- 5.5 mm or I Size Hook
- 2 Balls of Caron Cakes, Cake Pop colour.
- Alternative Options: If substituting for Bernat Pop!, use 4 balls instead.
- 34″ Diameter
- Guage 13 sc x 7 dc (4″ x 4″)
- Colour MC = Caron Cakes, Cake Pop
- Colour A = Caron Cakes, Cake Pop (Ball 2)
Note: Afghan is worked using Tapestry Crochet Techniques. To change color, work to last 2 loops on hook of first color. Draw loop in next color through 2 loops on hook to complete st and proceed in next color. Carry color not in use loosely across top of previous row and work color in use around it.
Ch 3 at beg of rnd counts as dc.
With MC, ch 4. Join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
- 1st rnd: Using both MC and A at the same time. Create the break in the colours. This is shown in the tutorial for the alternative way to start. This will allow the colours to touch right into the center instead of waiting for 1 round. Ch 3. 11 dc in ring. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 12 dc.
- 2nd rnd: With MC, ch 3. 1 dc in same sp as sl st. *With A, 2 dc in next dc. With MC, 2 dc in next dc. Rep from * to last dc. With A, 2 dc in last dc. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 6 groups of MC and 6 groups of A.
- 3rd rnd: With MC, ch 3. 1 dc in same sp as sl st. 1 dc in next dc. *With A, 2 dc in next dc. 1 dc in next dc. With MC, 2 dc in next dc. 1 dc in next dc. Rep from * to last 2 dc. With A, 2 dc in next dc. 1 dc in last dc. Join with sl st to top of ch 3.
- 4th rnd: With MC, ch 3. 1 dc in same sp as sl st. 1 dc in each of next 2 dc. *With A, 2 dc in next dc. 1 dc in each of next 2 dc. With MC, 2 dc in next dc. 1 dc in each of next 2 dc. Rep from * to last 3 dc. With A, 2 dc in next dc. 1 dc in each of next 2 dc. Join with sl st to top of ch 3.
- Rounds 5 – 28. Continue in same manner. Increasing by 1 stitch in each section of the pinwheel. Each round will increase by 12 sts.
- Alternative Option: You can go as big as you prefer if you want a bigger afghan. The border will work out no matter what size you are working on. You may need more yarn if making the project bigger.
- Border rnd: With MC, ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as sl st. (1 dc. 1 tr) in next dc. (1 tr. 1 dc) in next dc. 1 sc in next dc. *1 sc in next dc. (1 dc. 1 tr) in next dc. (1 tr. 1 dc) in next dc. 1 sc in next dc. Rep from * around. Join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
The tutorial is following the exact same count in rows but is not changing positions every 3 round for colour. It’s a straight shot out from the center to create a pinwheel. The spiral goes right to the very end, including the border. So continuing with the final border using the tapestry method as she scalloped pinwheel area will match the colour that is going outward from the center.