Crochet Fluffy Meringue Shawl
The Crochet Fluffy Merinque Shawl is an adaptation for the Yarnspirations Baby Blanket called the Fluffy Merinque Baby Blanket. Our Laura Jean Bartholomew reviewed the baby blanket due to the exquisite stitches and converted the baby blanket into a shawl. Here’s what she adapted to make this happen.
- She cut the baby blanket into half to form a triangle shape.
- She removed out the picots from the baby blanket to simplify the pattern at the end of the large sprays.
- She used Caron Cakes Yarn and crocheted the colour as it comes out of the ball. There is no doctoring of colours to force colours to appear.
Unique features remained the same as per the baby blanket are as follows:
- She kept the large crochet sprays that are three dimensional.
- She kept the center V-Stitches for both the center of the shawl and side edges to have a uniform and consistent look.
Laura Jean did a sample using only 1 Caron Cake Yarn Ball. I did 2 balls of Caron Cake Yarn to see the size difference. Of course, you can decide which size you most prefer. For me, I like a draping shawl, to others, nothing too big and more of an evening accessory. Using 2 balls doesn’t double the size as the triangle shape continues to grow in both length and height. There is more yarn required to go across as the length gets wider.
Laura Jean’s Version
As seen in the photograph is wearing the Fluffy Merinque Shawl using only 1 ball of Caron Cakes.
- You can get 8 3/4 Crochet Sprays using one ball.
- 47″ across the diagonal and 21″ deep.
Mikey’s Version (mine)
- You can get 12 complete Crochet Sprays using two balls.
- 64″ across the diagonal and 31″ deep.
Laying Flat – Mikey’s Version
You can see that I have left in a stitch marker on the right hand side. It’s just a tied string. This is to show you where Laura Jean’s version stops using 1 ball. Using a complete second ball is the remaining of the shawl to the end.
Crochet Sprays – Large Fan Shapes
Notice the sprays rest between each other. What stays consistent is the V-Stitch in the center of the shawl and on the outside stitches of the shawl.
The colour is changed when beginning the rows with the back post double crochet stitches. Those represent the start of the next crochet sprays.
You can download the Fluffy Meringue Shawl Pattern here.
- 1 Caron Cake Yarn for Small Size Version, 2 Caron Cakes for Larger Version
- Size 5 mm or H Hook
- Tapestry Needle
Baby Fluffy Meringue Blanket
The Baby Fluffy Meringue Blanket is a Crochet Crowd favourite baby afghan. It is several years old by Yarnspirations and really has a stellar presentation when completed.
To some, this baby blanket design could be considered an heirloom due to the stitchwork. It’s beyond ordinary and done with the right yarn, it can last for years or even generations.
Below, I have provided what the diagram looked like done up as blanket to give understanding on how Laura Jean adapted the pattern.
Fluffy Meringue Baby Blanket Tutorial