Post & Shells Stitch
Learn how to do this stitch combo that makes your crochet projects look vintage or retro. I recently used this stitch combination for a baby project called the Timeless Memories Baby Blanket.
For the Timeless Memories Baby Blanket, I used 17 multiples of 6 and then added 4 chains at the end with my Bernat Softee Chunky Baby Yarn and a L or 8 mm size crochet hook. I have a tutorial on that if you wish. Click on the photo of the blanket if you would like to view that tutorial and get that free pattern.
This stitch goes pretty quickly.
Click on diagram to save or print the diagram.
- For changing the sizes of the afghan in this stitch, the stitch multiple is 6 + 4. This is also explained in the video tutorial.
- Shell = 5 DC into the same stitch.
Ch in multiples of 6, then add 4 chains at the end.
- Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across.
- Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), *[dc in next sc, skip next 2 sc, shell in next sc, skip next 2 sc]. Repeat * Across and dc in last 2 sc, turn. You should have 17 shell repeats.
- Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), *[BPdc around next st, ch 2, sk next 2 dc, sc in center dc of next shell, ch 2, sk next 2 dc]. Repeat * across and BPdc around next st, hdc in last st, turn.
- Ch 3, * [FPdc around next st, sk next ch-2 sp, shell in next sc, sk next ch-2 sp]. Repeat * across and FPdc around next st, dc in last st, turn.
- Repeat rows 3 – 4 for the remaining of the afghan. You should finish the afghan on row 4 at the end.