Crochet Christmas Ornament
Customizing your Christmas may include hand crocheting special ornaments for your tree or to give away as a gift to someone you care about. You can have a lot of fun with the clear glass ornamental balls. I prefer the plastic type as Riverstone can knock them off the tree. I’m not as paranoid to break the ornament if I am working with it or if I drop it myself.
I just came up with a simplistic design that allows you to see felted balls inside the ball. It’s just an added feature you can do. You can slip anything inside the ball that fits through the top.
I picked up my clear ornamental balls at Michaels Stores as they are designed with the concept you will do something creative. The hole in the top is larger than normal so you can put things inside.
- 3″ Clear Plastic Christmas Ball
- An assortment of Felted Balls that will slip through the top opening of the ornamental ball.
- 1 Ball of Patons Grace
- 4 mm or Size G Hook
- Darning Needle to Weave in Ends
We are going to create two 6 point stars. Once done, we are going to form a chain that slip stitches between the points of the star on both. Before you finish, you will slip in the ball and finish the chains to permanently add the ball to the project. You can then decorate the inside of the ball and then give as a gift
Make 2 Motifs
Ch 12, sl st to the beg chain to form a ring.
- Ch 3, 23 dc into ring. Join with sl st to the top of beg ch-3.
- Ch 1, sc into same stitch, *(2 dc into next stitch, ch 2, 2 dc into next stitch), sc in next 2 stitches. Repeat * around. Finishing with 1 sc after () and sl st to beg sc. Fasten off. Weave in ends to be ready to use with the ball next step.
Snare Drum Chain Look
Leave long tail to use a darning needle to weave in the ends when done.
- Lay both motifs shapes on a table in front of you. Right Sides facing up. Put one closer to you then the other and start with the one that is closest to you.
- Slip off the top of the ball carefully not to bend the top fixing.
- Fasten on to the closest motif with sl st to any ch-2 space. Ch 7, sl st to any ch-2 space on the other motif. Ch 7, sl st to the next ch-2 point on the motif you started with. Ch 7, sl st to the next point on the other motif. Continue around doing the same concept. You will end up back where you started. Slip in the ball before you do the final points on each motif so you can make it fit. Then finish off doing the same concept and the ball will be permanently inside. Fasten off and weave in ends.
- You can put things inside the ball if you wish. I just put a few felted balls inside. You may wish to put in yarn, ribbon or glitter. Just use your imagation.
- Slip on the top of the ball
- Hang and enjoy!