Timeless Memory Baby Blanket
The Timeless Memory Baby Blanket is made up of an interesting set of 2 stitches. Due to the stitches used, this particular stitch combo can be crocheted up really quickly.
One of the stitches is a called a crochet shell. In this case, as shells can be different combos based on individual patterns, the shell is made up of 5 double crochets.
The other stitch is either a front post double crochet or a back post double crochet. The reason why there is a difference becomes clear when you realize the afghan is a one sided pattern. The raised ridges only appear on the right side (good side). So when you are working on the afghan and can see the front side as you crochet along, you will apply front post double crochet to keep the ridge continuing on the front side. When the afghan is turned around and you are crocheting along and can see the back of the afghan, you will apply back post double crochet to keep the ridges on the front side. The video tutorial also explains this.
This post & shells combination appears in one of the panels in the Soft Stripes Throw on Yarnspirations. You can see there are other panels of textured stitches that make up this other afghan.
This afghan is a great sampler afghan for learning other interesting crochet stitch combinations for expanding your crochet skills.
Click the diagram to download, save or print the diagram used in the video.
The yarn is machine washable and dryable making for easy care. If you haven’t seen this yarn in a while, you may not know this yarn has been upgraded to be even thicker at a Chunky Weight. This means the projects with this yarn tend to be quicker to make. The yarn is super soft and makes for fabulous projects for the baby.
The afghan is 34″ wide x 44″ long.
- 6 – Skeins of Bernat Softee Chunky Yarn. Solid Colours. Colour in Sample is called Cream Puff.
- L or 8 mm Crochet Hook Size
- You can use any hook size or yarn for this pattern as long as the hook compliments the yarn recommendations.
- For changing the sizes of the afghan in this stitch, the stitch multiple is 6 + 4. This is also explained in the video tutorial.
- The afghan has 17 shell repeats across.
- Shell = 5 DC into the same stitch.
- Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across.
- Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), *[dc in next sc, skip next 2 sc, shell in next sc, skip next 2 sc]. Repeat * Across and dc in last 2 sc, turn. You should have 17 shell repeats.
- Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), *[BPdc around next st, ch 2, sk next 2 dc, sc in center dc of next shell, ch 2, sk next 2 dc]. Repeat * across and BPdc around next st, hdc in last st, turn.
- Ch 3, * [FPdc around next st, sk next ch-2 sp, shell in next sc, sk next ch-2 sp]. Repeat * across and FPdc around next st, dc in last st, turn.
- Repeat rows 3 – 4 for the remaining of the afghan until all 6 skeins of Bernat Softee Baby Chunky yarn is used. You should finish the afghan on row 4 at the end.