The Crochet Celtic Weave Stitch Cowl is a great introductory project to this texture-rich project. Learn the Celtic Stitch.
This type of stitch feels wrong to the natural movement of crochet but once you get comfortable and get rid of the fear, it gets much easier. So you may feel like giving up too soon in the journey.
This concept will open up the gateway to other projects where the stitches are done the same way but in a different project.
- Spring Study of Texture Ombre Blanket
- Crochet Braided Pumpkin Patterns
- Gingerbread Afghan / Tree Skirt Pattern
- Crochet Market Bag Pattern
Yarn and Sizing
Patons Alpaca Blend 100 g /3.5 oz, 142 m/155 yds)
A - Aquamarine - 2 Balls
Project Size: Adult / Adjustable. 9.5” x 28” [24 x 71 cm]
6 mm / J/10 Crochet Hook or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Beginning
- Ch = Chain(s)
- Dc = Double crochet
- Hdc = Half double crochet
- Trbp = (Yoh) twice and draw up a loop around post of next stitch at back of work, inserting hook from right to left. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times.
- Trfp = (Yoh) twice and draw up a loop around post of next stitch at front of work, inserting hook from right to left. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times.
- Pat = Pattern
- Rep = Repeat
- RS = Right side
- Sl st = Slip stitch
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- WS = Wrong side
- Yoh = Yarn over hook
- Ch 3 at the beg of a row counts as dc.
- Stitch multiple is 4 ch + 6.
1st row: (WS). 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook and each hdc to end of chain. Turn. 32 hdc. Fasten off.
2nd row: (RS). Join A with sl st to first hdc. Ch 3. 1 dc in next hdc. *Skip next 2 hdc. 1 trfp around each of next 2 hdc. Working in front of just worked sts, 1 trfp around each of 2 skipped hdc. Rep from * to last 2 hdc. 1 dc in each of last 2 hdc. Turn. 32 sts.
3rd row: Ch 3. 1 dc in next dc. 1 trbp around each of next 2 sts. *Skip next 2 sts. 1 trbp around each of next 2 sts. Working behind just worked sts, 1 trbp around each of 2 skipped sts. Rep from * to last 4 sts. 1 trbp around each of next 2 sts. 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Turn. 32 sts.
4th row: Ch 3. 1 dc in next dc. *Skip next 2 sts. 1 trfp around each of next 2 sts. Working in front of just worked sts, 1 trfp around each of 2 skipped sts. Rep from * to last 2 sts. 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Turn. 32 sts.
Rep last 2 rows until work from beg measures approx 28” [71 cm], ending on 4th row.
Join Ends of Cowl
With WS facing, working through both thicknesses of foundation ch and last row, work 1 sl st in each sc to end of row.