Spider Hero Hat – Toddler Size
Designed by Michael Sellick ©2012 The Crochet Crowd
This has been designed so the brim folds up.
- Size I or 5.0 MM Crochet Hook
- 1 Ball of Red Heart With Love or Bernat Super Saver for Red, Black and Blue
DC = Double Crochet, SL ST = Slip Stitch, BEG = Beginning,
Instructions for Body of Hat
- Using RED, Chain 3 then in the 1st Chain DC 12 Times to form circle. Join with a SL ST
FROM THIS POINT, you will crochet in the backloops only for the remaining of the body of that hat.
R1: Place stitch marker in to know when you have gone all the way around. 2 SC into the back loop of the first stitch, then 2 DC into the back loops each stitch until you run back into the stitch marker. We will work in a continuous circle so there is no slip stitching that will appear in your beanie.
R2: *1 DC into next stitch, then 2 DC into the next, Repeat from * all the way around.
R3: *1 DC into the next 2 stitches, then 2 DC into the next, Repeat from * all the way around.
R4: * 1 DC into the next 3 stitches, then 2 DC into the next, Repeat from * all the way around.
R5: *1 DC into the next 4 stitches, then 2 DC into the next. Repeat from * all the way around.
R6 – 14 – 1 DC into each stitch around.
Final of 14, end round with 2 SC and 2 SL ST to balance the continuous rotation look. Fasten off RED.
R15 – Fasten on BLUE, 1st 2 Stitches get 1 SC each, then 1 DC into each stitch all the way around.
R16 – 18 – Continue 1 DC in each stitch around.
Final of round 18, end with 2 SC and 2 SL ST to blance the continous rotation look. Fasten off BLUE.
R19 – Fasten on BLACK, CH 1, 1 SC into each stitch all the way round. Join with SL ST at the end of the round. Fasten off, weave in ends.
ADDING THE WEB – Going Down
- This may require your own creative license. Meaning you have to judge some of this on your own.
- There is a total of 6 Spider webs going down from the top of the hat. If you visualize a pie being divided into 6 peices, this is what it would look like looking down.
- You only need to go over the top of the hat 3 times as that will produce the six spider webs going down.
- Lay down the hat on a flat surface. This will give a straight line to show where your stitches need to go. By following the fold of the hat being pushed down, you simply follow it from one side to the other.
When doing this step, you are SC around the posts of the crochet. Do not SL ST the web into place, ensure you SC.
- Fasten on BLACK around a POST at the start of the RED directly beside the blue rim. Do not go into the blue rim as you will see the black through the brim when folded up.
- You can clearly see the lines of the hat. CH 3, *then SC into the the next Post that is 2 Rows Up. CH 3, Repeat this to the top of the hat. To Skip over the centre, CH 2, then SC on the other side on the same rows that you did on the side you went up. You can see the rows clearly by following the lines across the hat.
- Stop on the RED just before the blue brim on the other side.
Now open hat, and reflatten the hat down so the the fold is approximately one slice of the 6 Peice Pie and repeat what you just did above.
Open Hat again, and reflaten the hat down so the fold is another 1 Slide of the pie. Repeat again the above steps.
Inside of Hat showing you where the black appears through.
ADDING WEB – Across Direction
The web across direction is a continuous rotation, just like a spider would be weaving her web.
You will notice there are gap spaces between the SC’s in the vertical direction of the hat. We want to use those spaces to evenly space out the web for this part of our project.
- Starting at the top of the hat in a gap space between the top of the hat and one vertical web. Fasten on Black. CH 3, Rotate Hat, SC around the next vertical web gap. CH 3, SC around the next vertical web gap. Repeat.
- Once you are all the way around and get back to the fastened on Vertical, CH 6 Instead and SC around the next gap space that is down on the starting vertical, repeat all the way around on the next gap space under.
- Once all the way around, CH 8 instead and SC to the next gap space under the starting vertical web. Repeat allt the way around.
- Once all the way around, CH 10 instead and SC to the next gap space under the starting vertical web. Repeat all the around around for the remainder of the hat using the same principals.
- Finish off and fasten off when at the bottom when the web has gone all the way around. The brim will cover up this area as well.