Crabby Granny Square Border
The following are instructions for a border for a typical granny square. Many crocheters decide to do one large granny square instead of doing multiple and sewing them together. My personal goal was to come up with several designs that can be applied to a typical granny square.
Instructions Granny Square Itself
Note: Ch 6 at beg of rnd counts as dc and ch 3.
- With A, ch 5. Join with sl st to first ch to form a ring.
- 1st rnd: Ch 6. (3 dc. Ch 3) 3 times in ring. 2 dc in ring. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 6. (Four groups of 3 dc, four ch-3 sps forming corners).
- 2nd rnd: Sl st in next ch-3 sp. Ch 6. 3 dc in same sp as last sl st. *Ch 1. (3 dc. Ch 3. 3 dc) in next ch-3 sp. Rep from * twice more. Ch 1. 2 dc in first ch-3 sp. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 6. Fasten off.
- 3rd rnd: Join B with sl st in any ch-3 sp. Ch 6. 3 dc in same sp as last sl st. Ch 1. 3 dc in next ch-1 sp. *Ch 1. (3 dc. Ch 3. 3 dc) in next ch-3 sp. Ch 1. 3 dc in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * twice more. Ch 1. 2 dc in first ch-3 sp. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 6.
4th rnd: Sl st in next ch-3 sp. Ch 6. 3 dc in same sp as last sl st. 3 dc in each ch-1 sp to next corner ch-3 sp. *Ch 1. (3 dc. Ch 3. 3 dc) in next ch-3 sp. Ch 1. 3 dc in each ch-1 sp to next corner ch-3 sp. Rep from *twice more. Ch 1. 2 dc in first ch-3 sp. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 6. Fasten off.
Rep last rnd, working 2 rnds each of A, B, C, D and E, until square measures approx 36″ [91.5 cm], ending with 2 rnds of any color. Fasten off.
Instructions for the This Border
This border is fairly simple with a mix of single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet and reverse single crochet. Reverse single crochet is also referred to as the Crab Stitch and you can see it in Fuchsia on the find round. It provides a really unique look for a beautiful finishing technique.
This border consists of 4 rounds.
To help you further, I have put a tutorial video below on demonstrating the Reverse Single Crochet. Reverse Single Crochet is exactly what it sounds like, you are stitching in reverse.
- Fasten onto any ch-3 space. Ch 1, 3 sc into the same space. *1 sc into each stitch and ch-1 space across to the next corner. Next corner put in 3 sc. Repeat * around. Join with a slip stitch to beginning sc. Fasten off.
- Fasten on next colour to the middle sc of the 3-sc in a corner. Ch 2, 2 hdc into the same stitch, 1 hdc each stitch until the middle sc in the 3-sc in the next corner, place 3 hdc into the middle sc. Repeat * around. Join with a slip stitch to top of beginning ch-2. Fasten off.
- Fasten onto the middle hdc of the 3-hdc corner. Ch 3, 4 dc into the same stitch. 1 dc into each stitch across to the middle 3-hdc corner. Place 5 dc into the middle 3-hdc corner. Repeat * around. Slip stitch to the top of the beginning ch-3.
- Fasten onto the middle dc in the 5-dc corner. Ch 1, *placing hook into the stitch before , insert hook and wrap yarn, pull through and yarn over and pull through 2 loops. Repeat * in every stitch around. Review tutorial below if you need help to visualize this. Slip stitch to beginning reverse single crochet, fasten off.
Video Demonstration of a Typical Granny Square
More Crochet Border Ideas