Crochet Textured Cowl
I love textured stitches when I crochet. The Caron Cakes yarn is so lovely to crochet with and I use a slightly bigger hook than suggested to ease the post stitches and give the textured cowl a bit of drape. I don’t want the cowl to feel stiff against my neck. This pattern is a perfect way to use one ball of Caron Cakes yarn, but feel free to use any worsted weight yarn. The cowl is long and can be easily doubled up around your neck for warmth.
The texture is achieved by repeating the same pattern of stitches throughout, but shifting one spot to the left on each round.
~ by Jeanne Steinhilber
- 1 Caron Cakes yarn
- Crochet Hook size J – 6.0mm
Pattern Repeat: 5 FPdc, 5 hdc, 5 BPdc
FPdc – Front post double crochet
hdc – Half double crochet
BPdc – Back post double crochet
- Begin with foundation double crochet of 150, join with a slst to form a circle. Skip to step 3.
- Ch 150. Bring together both ends to form a circle, taking care not to twist your row of dc. Slip stitch to the first ch close the ring.
- Ch 3, dc in each chain around, slst to ch-3.
- Ch 1, FPdc immediately below the slip stitch around the post of the previous round, FPdc around next 4 st, hdc in next 5 st, BPdc around next 5 st; repeat pattern of 5 FPdc, 5 hdc, 5 BPdc around until you get back to the beginning. Slst to first FPdc.
- Ch 1, BPdc around post of same stitch as just joining, FPdc around next 5 st, hdc in next 5 st, BPdc around next 5 st; repeat around until you get back to the beginning. You will end with 4 BPdc because you started with 1 BPdc at the beginning. Slst to beginning BPdc. The pattern just shifted left by one stitch.
- Ch 1, BPdc around post of same stitch as just joining, BPdc around next st; repeat pattern of 5 FPdc, 5 hdc, 5 BPdc until you get back to the beginning. This time you will end with 3 BPdc before joining to the first BPdc.
Continue in Pattern Repeat, shifting one stitch to the left on each round, and work for 16 rounds.
Be creative! 🙂 ~ Jeanne – The Crochet Crowd