Dimitri Loves Kitty Toys
Dimitri, estimated to be about 14 years old loves homemade cat toys. Laced with catnip and sized right to carry around. I cannot express enough how much she loves her toys.
She’s too old to care about a mouse running across her path but a laced catnip toy is something she absolutely loves.
She carried her toy outside a couple months ago and I found it all soaked and ruined. Usually, she meows like a kitty in heat and goes running across the house with it… gets there… drops it and the fun is over… but then does it again in a while. It’s the only exercise she gets.
Let’s face it… cat’s and dogs don’t care if you make the item or buy it at the store. I have the yarn, I have a bag of cat nip and I have the desire to show her my love by making her a new toy. This is how I did it.
Dimitri is aging, so I wanted to use shiny yarns as I think her eye sight is not as great as it should be … OR she is the queen of ignoring us.
Get yourself the following materials:
- Size G, or 4.5 mm Crochet Hook
- Spare Yarn. I used 4 different colours.
- Fiberfill for stuffing.
- Material Piece 6″ x 16″ Long.
- Tapestry Needle
- Yarn Marker
Prepare the Catnip
Firstly, we are going to use a piece of material to lock in the catnip so it doesn’t end up all over your furniture and house.
- Lay the material out and sprinkle the catnip down the centre of the material.
- Fold in both sides so that the middle strip is about 2″ wide.
- Roll the strip and use a scrap piece of string to tie in a cylinder shape.
This piece will be slid into the middle of the toy when ready.
- Ch 3. HDC 6 times into the beginning chain. Mark final HDC with a stitch marker. You will be going in a continuous circle and not slip stitching for each round.
- 2 HDC into each around.
- *1 HDC, 2 HDC into the next stitch. Repeat * around.
- *1 HDC int the next 2 stitches, 2 HDC into the next stitch. Repeat from * around.
- *1 HDC into the next 3 stitches, 2 HDC into the next stitch. Repeat * around.
- 1 HDC in each around. Fasten off colour. My case it was green.
- Fasten on new colour pink, 1 HDC around.
- 1 HDC around. Fasten off pink colour.
Fasten on new colour purple, 1 HDC around.
- 1 HDC around. Fasten off colour. My case it was purple.
- Fasten on blue, 1 HDC around.
- *1 HDC into the next two stitches, 2 HDC Together. Repeat * around.
- Put the material roll inside and stuff the stuffing around it. Crochet with holding the roll and stuffing on the inside.
- *1 HDC next stitch, 2 HDC together. Repeat * around.
- 2 TOG around.
- Using tapestry collect remaining stitches and pull shut. Sew shut.
Give to To Your Kitty to Enjoy