Crochet Mermaid Cowl
You can try the Crochet Mermaid Cowl by Yarnspirations. The original pattern published a few years back featured Bernat Mosaic, a slowly transitioning yarn. Today, it is discontinued but there are thousands of us that have this particular yarn in our yarn collections at home. You cannot find this yarn online to buy at this time. If you see this in a store near you, consider it like winning a lottery.
The mermaid cowl crochets in a continuous circle. To help you. One round is a base round where the scales from the next round sit onto it. The next round is the scale round. So when you look at the diagram below, hopefully, it will make a lot of sense to you.
- Cute As A Button Flower Pattern
- Crochet The Boss Bird Rooster Pattern
- Dream Time Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Butterfly Stitch Infinity Cowl Pattern
- Crochet Toddler Old Bun Hat + Tutorial
- As many of us know with the scale stitch, aka the crocodile stitch, it’s a bit of a yarn pig. To do this cowl, you will need three balls of Bernat Mosaic or about 630 yards of yarn. Colour in the picture was the Bernat Mosaic – Colour is Spectrum.
- Size H or 5 mm Crochet Hook.
The cowl will be approx 8″ wide by 37″ around.
Note: Ch 3 at beg of rnd counts as dc throughout.
Ch 126. Join in ring with sl st to first ch, taking care not to twist chain.
1st rnd: (Base rnd). Ch 3. 1 dc in each ch around. Join with sl st to top of ch 3.
2nd rnd: (Scale rnd). Ch 1. Work 5 dc down the post of the first dc of the previous rnd. Ch 1. Work 5 dc up post of 2nd dc of the previous rnd – beg scale st made. Miss the next 5 dc. *Work 5 dc down the post of next dc of the previous rnd. Ch 1. Work 5 dcup post of next dc of previous rnd – scale st made. Miss the next 5 dc. Rep from * 16 times more. Join with sl st to ch 1.
3rd rnd: (Base rnd). Sl st in each of first 3 dc of missed 5 dc groups of the previous rnd. Ch 3. 1 dc in same sp as last sl st. *1 dc in each of next 2 dc. 1 dc between 2 dc of Scale st. 1 dc in each of next 2 dc.** 2 dc in next dc. Rep from * 16 times more then, rep from * to ** once more. Join with sl st to top of ch 3.
4th rnd: (Scale rnd). Sl st in each of next 2 dc. Ch 1. Beg Scale st. Miss the next 5 dc. *Scale st. Miss the next 5 dc. Rep from * 16 times more. Join with sl st to ch 1.
Rep 3rd and 4th rnds for pat until work from beg measures approx 8″ [20.5 cm]. Fasten off.