Crochet Sampler Blues Afghan
Experience a tremendous stitch sampler afghan called the Crochet Sampler Blues Afghan. Talk about a stitch tease project. There are 8 different stitch combinations used in this masterpiece.
Diagrams are available for each of the sections.
Errata for Bobble Pattern
This will be updated on the article soon. The diagram is currently wrong but the words below are what the diagram is being updated to.
See Diagram 8 on page 6.
1st row: (WS). With B, ch 3. *1 dc in each of next 11 sts. Skip next st. Rep from * 8 times more. 1 dc in each st to end of row. Turn. 98 dc.
2nd row: Ch 2. 1 hdc in first dc. Dcfp around each dc to last dc. 1 hdc in last dc. Turn.
3rd row: Ch 1. 1 sc in each of first 2 sts. Cluster in same sp as last sc (Push cluster to RS of work). *Ch 1. Skip next st. (1 sc. Cluster) in next st. Rep from * to last 2 sts. Ch 1. Skip next st. 1 sc in last st. Turn.
4th row: Ch 1. (1 sc. Cluster) in first sc (Push cluster to RS of work). *Ch 1. (1 sc. Cluster) in top of next Cluster. Rep from * to last 2 sc. Ch 1. 1 sc in each of last 2 sc. Turn.
5th row: Ch 1. 1 sc in first sc. *1 sc in top of next Cluster. 1 sc in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * to last sc. 1 sc in last sc. Turn.
6th row: Ch 3. 1 dc in each sc to end of row. Turn.
7th row: Ch 2. 1 hdc in first dc. Dcfp around each dc to last dc. 1 hdc in last dc. Turn.
8th row: (RS). Ch 1. 1 sc in each st to end of row. 2 sc in last st. 99 sc. Turn. Break B. Join A.
If you would like to use a different yarn and change the width. The Stitch Multiple = 12+4.
Changing the Order of the Sections
If you are following pattern ‘as is’ without wanting to change the order, ignore the helpful tips below.
When we start off the blanket with 100 sc which is a multiple of 12+4. We have left with 99 sc across. However, not all sections are 99 sts across.
- Running Ridges Pattern = 99 sc.
- Horizontal Ridge Pattern = 99 sc.
- Bobble Pattern = 99 sc.
- Texture Pattern = 99 sc.
The next set in the pattern needs more stitches as the beginning of the first time the arrow pattern shows up so it doesn’t contract the sides to create an hour-glass shaped blanket. An increase is created at the beginning of the first time the Arrow Pattern is done and is maintained at 107 sts across.
- Arrow Pattern = 107 sc.
- Lattice Pattern = 107 sc.
- Arrow Pattern = 107 sc.
- Sc-Ch 1 Pattern = 107 sc.
Contraction is done at the beginning of the next section to bring it back to 99 sc.
- Horizontal Ridged Pattern = 99 sts after the first row is done to decrease stitches. An increase is done on the last row of this section to get us back to 107 sc.
- Woven Pattern = 107 sc.
- Bobble Pattern = 99 sc. Decrease was done at the beginning of this section.
- Running Ridges Section = 99 sc.
The increasing and decreasing is always the same stitch counts. Do this on the first row of the section you are about to do if you need to increase or decrease. They are as follows:
- Increase = 1 (assigned stitch) in each of next 11 sts. 2 (assigned stitch) in next st. Rep from * 7 times more. 1 (assigned stitch) in each st to end of row. Turn. 107 sts.
- Decrease = 1 (assigned stitch) in each of next 12 sts. Skip next st. Rep from * 7 times more. 1 (assigned stitch) in each st to end of row. Turn. 99 sts.
Stitch Multiples Per Section
If you love a stitch so much in this concept, you can start a new afghan using just the stitch. The following are the stitch multiples per section. Please note that additional stitches are added in some stitching sections to help with the tension of some of the stitches. The stitch multiples are given as if the stitch isn’t used in combination with other things.
- Running Ridges Pattern – Multiple of 4.
- Horizontal Ridged Pattern – No Multiple.
- Texture Pattern – Multiple of 4
- Arrow Pattern – Multiple of 4+3.
- Lattice Pattern – Multiple of 4.
- Sc Ch-1 Pattern – Multiple of 2.
- Woven Pattern – Multiple of 2.
- Bobble Pattern – Multiple of 2.
- Fringe – No multiple.
- All Wrapped Up Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Star Patterns
- Crochet Blue Afghan Pattern
- Crochet All For One Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Sampler Cowl Pattern
Tutorials are in order of the sections as they appear. You will notice 3 sections are repeated for balance however, one of the sections has a reduction of stitches that is noted in the tutorial and video title.
Beginning + Section 1 – Running Ridges Pattern
Section 2 – Horizontal Ridge Pattern
Section 3 – Texture Pattern
Section 4 – Arrow Pattern
Section 5 – Lattice Pattern
Section 6 – Arrow Pattern
Section is repeated but only rows 2 – 6.
Section 7 – Sc-Ch 1 Pattern
Section 8 – Horizontal Ridge Pattern
(Section has Dec & Inc of Stitches)
Section 9 – Woven Pattern
Section 10 – Bobble Pattern
Section 11 – Running Ridges Pattern
(Section is Repeated Starting on Row 2)
Section 12 – Side Edging
Section 13 – Twisted Fringe