Crochet Weighted Blankets
Blankets and calm and soothe a person. These blankets have weight to them which can create relaxed sleep and comfort.
I didn’t give it too much thought that I was enjoying better sleep until I stumbled across an article on the internet about weighted blankets. It was the first time that I had ever heard that term, so it caught my eye. What I learned is that heavy weighted blankets can help people with Sensory Integration Dysfunction (SID). This is a condition that can be associated with autism and learning disabilities. The weighted blanket has a soothing and calming effect that can possibly help people with this disorder.
Well, the more I thought about it, the more I realized how true this can be. My son has ADHD, his foot never stops moving, and yet he cannot sleep unless he is wrapped from head to toe in a heavy blanket, no matter the time of year.
Then I remembered being young myself and piling blankets 6 deep on my bed each night. Not because I was cold, because it just made me feel secure. It was only recently in life when those dreaded hot flashes began that I started not sleeping with extra blankets. Maybe I’ll keep piling on the blankets and just turn that thermostat down more in the summer.
To me, nothing says love more than a hand-crocheted blanket. I am currently working on two made with the Bernat Big Blanket yarn. The teal one above is a simple single crochet in the back loops only (an idea inspired by another Crochet Crowder). The other blue one is the Tunisian Honeycomb blanket.
Who needs a weighted blanket in your life?
- Big Colorful Throw this one could be backed and lightly stuffed like a quilt between each motif.
- Tunisian Honeycomb Blanket a beautiful stitch that creates a dense fabric.
- Bavarian Stitch Square Afghan condensed and creates weight.
- Corner 2 Corner but make it even heavier by using a double strand with the smallest hook you can manage.
- Apiary Puff Blanket – really amazing to look at.
- Aran Hearts Heavy throw, yet very pretty in design.
- Basketweave Afghan this texture is very popular as a heavy blanket.
- 24 Day Log Cabin Afghan a square a day will get this heavy afghan done in time for the cold weather.
- Kaleidoscope beautiful, colourful and dense. another blanket that would be great to be lined and quilted for extra weight.
Be creative! 🙂 – Jeanne – The Crochet Crowd